Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Madoff Victims broke one of the most fundamental rules in investing

The part that really baffles me on this Madoff scandal is that one of the fundamental rules in investing is that you need to:

D-I-V-E-R-S-I-F-Y

This is a SIMPLE move to protect your ass from losing everything. Now you are talking about multi-millionaires who lost everything because they did not diversify. Even if they would of had 50% of their holdings into Madoff, they still would be a millionaire.

The way I look at this is that I do my own homework and make my own investment decision. If I were to put some skin in the game and if I got a lot of it, I will definitely do my homework and know what the hell I am buying into. It just makes sense. Period. If I am too lazy or incompetent to do it, then I would be better sticking to a CD's, Savings, or some kind of low risk index fund.

Duh...

No comments: